Guys, guys, guys… you know how last week, I told you that if you worked on that Coconut Whipped Cream, we’d find a way to put it to good use? Well, this is it! Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie! I still hope you’ve been enjoying that whipped cream in the meantime whether on top of your desserts or hot chocolate or spooned directly into your mouth.
Dana’s Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie will satisfy all the needs of your mortal being. Most of them, anyway. The name says it all. Vegan. Chocolate. Cream. Pie.
Now, chocolate and I have a difficult past. I have a rare, and difficult to pronounce, seizure-related neurological condition. As a result, Chocolate is not my friend but I loved her in years past. Oh yes, I did. The breakup was traumatic – more for me than her, I’m afraid. We still meet up twice a year to remember old times: once on Halloween when I eat a mini Peanut Butter Snickers and once more at an arbitrarily selected time when I decide that I need chocolate.
I try to postpone this Glorious Chocolate Moment for as long as I can during the year and usually can make it until June, at the very least. Perhaps it goes without saying that since I was introduced to Dana that everyone of these Glorious Chocolate Moments were brought on by items she prepared.
Don’t believe me? Allow me to recount them for you now…
2013: Dana’s salted chocolate chip cookie. (Oooh, I should definitely make her share this recipe.)
2014: Dana’s Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie
2015: Dana’s Chocolate Mint Cupcake (We need this recipe too.)
2016: Dana’s Raspberry Swirl Brownies (I think at this point we should, as a group, demand a chocolate-themed month of recipes.)
And now, in a momentous turn of events, I decided I’m going to skip the Snickers entirely this year and just eat this pie. Maybe all of it. Probably not all of it. After all, I live with other people. I can’t just eat an entire pie in front of them in good conscious. No, I’ll share, but I’ll do so with resentment. And, as much as I hate to admit it, sharing might save me a trip to the hospital. So… there’s that too.
To make this pie, you’ll either need to procure or produce your pie crust. I suggest Dana’s Vegan Pie Dough for all your pie crust needs. This crust will add a rich and subtle flavor that won’t detract from the sweetness of your chocolate cream filling. And, of course, you can top your slice with a dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream for a desert that will make you write home. Best of all, everything is vegan!
And Dana has some suggestions if you want to get sassy with your Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie. She says, and I quote, “This pie is really versatile if you like to mix it up with different flavors. Add orange zest for a tasty chocolate orange pie! Add cayenne and cinnamon for Mexican hot chocolate pie! Stir in fresh berries while pudding mixture is cooling for a super delicious, best-of-both-worlds kind of treat. It’s all delicious!”
Once you have the basics of this Vegan Chocolate Cream Pie down, you really can’t lose. You can change it up to suit your mood. And, right now, my mood says “Chocolate!”
- Pie dough/crust for one 9" pie (Pie Dough Recipe Here)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll out dough and bake for 10-12 minutes. This is the only baking the crust will get, so be sure it's nice and golden!
- In a medium sized saucepan, whisk together dry ingredients. Once those are well mixed, whisk in both milks. Whisk well to get out any lumps.
- Heat to a boil, whisking frequently until mixture thickens. (Be sure to get in there and scrape along the bottom of the pan since the cornstarch likes to settle down there with the cocoa powder). Once is reaches the consistency of pudding, remove from heat and stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into pre-baked crust, let cool 10 or so minutes, then put in fridge to cool. Give it a good 2 hours to set up for best results and easiest slicing.
- Once pie is cooled, top with coconut whipped cream, chocolate sprinkles, fresh fruit, or nothing at all. Slice it up and enjoy!!